Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Thailand?!?!

Sandy beaches, blue skies, coconuts, mangoes and more coconuts...
THAILAND! It's exotic, spectacular and uber-spledid! That, at least, is what people have told us. We were booked, ready to fly, getting stoked and excessively hyper. But then, when we left Ilsan Lake, I just had to get a coke. It was refreshing, but when it hit my belly, things started going wrong: the pain began. "Argy-argh-ungh... me belly hurt, Hil!" was pretty much all I said that night and the next day and the next morning. Finally resolved to do something about my belly, I went to the doctor who spoke just enough English to let me know it was either an intestinal infection (sweet!) or appendicitis (dang). So acting like I had a choice in the matter, I was determined to let it be a mere intestinal infection. HOWEVER, last Tuesday morning my doc told me to go the hospital "just to make sure" it was simply an intestinal infection. It turns out there are only some things you can truly and voluntarily deceive yourself about -and appendicitis is not one of them. So Thailand, until we meet (for the first time), we hope your coconuts and mangoes will bloom always, and your beaches will remain free of clutter and dangerous objects.

No comments: